If you love Thai cuisine, you might be wondering what are the best Thai street foods that are not too greasy. After all, nobody likes to feel heavy and oily after a delicious meal. Well, you’re in luck, because I have compiled a list of some of the most amazing and light Thai dishes that you can find on the streets of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or any other city in Thailand. Here are my top picks:
- Som tam: This is a refreshing and spicy salad made with shredded green papaya, tomatoes, peanuts, dried shrimp, lime juice, fish sauce, and chilies. It’s crunchy, tangy, and full of flavor. You can adjust the spiciness to your liking, but be careful, it can get really hot!
- Pad thai: This is probably the most famous Thai dish in the world, and for a good reason. It’s a stir-fried noodle dish with eggs, tofu, bean sprouts, scallions, and a sweet and savory sauce. You can choose your protein, such as chicken, pork, shrimp, or vegetarian. It’s usually garnished with crushed peanuts, lime wedges, and cilantro. It’s simple but satisfying.
- Khao soi: This is a rich and creamy curry noodle soup that originates from northern Thailand. It’s made with egg noodles, coconut milk, curry paste, chicken or beef, and topped with crispy fried noodles, pickled mustard greens, red onions, and lime juice. It’s a hearty and comforting dish that will warm you up on a chilly day.
- Khanom krok: This is a sweet and savory snack that consists of coconut milk pancakes cooked in a special cast iron pan. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, filled with various ingredients such as corn, scallions, taro, pumpkin, or banana. They are sprinkled with sugar and coconut cream and served hot. They are bite-sized and addictive.
- Mango sticky rice: This is a classic Thai dessert that you can’t miss. It’s made with glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk and sugar, served with fresh ripe mango slices and more coconut cream. It’s sweet, creamy, and fruity. The perfect way to end your Thai street food adventure.
These are just some of the best Thai street foods that are not too greasy. There are many more to discover and enjoy in Thailand. So what are you waiting for? Book your flight and get ready to feast on these amazing dishes!